Recyclables Summer Challenge - Space For Change
Jump into your wildest imagination this summer by taking part in our exciting new competition!
We want to encourage children and adults in Cambridgeshire to reduce and recycle as much as they can.
Your mission is to create a story describing how four characters recycle into new, exciting, wow products from everyday items.
What you can win!
Who can enter
What to include in your story
Your story should start with our four recyclable characters - can, paper, glass and plastic. Click on a character to find out what they can be recycled into.
You should then describe the amazing journey the characters go on to be recycled into new, exciting products. How it happens is up to you.
If you don't know much about what happens to waste, or if you want to expand your knowledge, we have plenty of information to get you started. Take a look at our resources below, and attend one of our workshops, to find extra inspiration for your story.
How to present your story
Your story should be laid out on a storyboard, available to download below. You can also cut out the characters from the sheet provided and stick them onto the storyboard.
Please note you don't have to use the character sheet. You are welcome to draw your own if you would prefer. You can also create new additional characters to go along with the four recyclables.
There are two sizes of storyboard available to download - A3 and A4. We would encourage entrants to use the A3 storyboard, but have included an A4 version for those who don't have access to an A3 printer. You can also visit your local library to see if they can print on A3 for you. Information about printing services in libraries can be found below.
Information and resources
Take a look at the following websites to find information and inspiration to help you:
- Find out how we recycle materials such as cans, paper, glass and plastic and learn what they turn into.
- Take part in the library summer reading challenge too. To take part, you need to sign up at your local library and read six books of your own choice. It's free to take part and you can pick up exclusive rewards along the way. You could even choose to read books on recycling!
- Watch Captain Busta's videos to find out what happens to your recycling.
- Meet The Recyclables! Watch videos on how easy it is to recycle items at home and in your local area.
- See how seven plastic bottles can be recycled into a football shirt. Watch The Making of Nike Football National Team Jerseys video.
- See what happens to waste in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
If you would like to get some extra inspiration, we are also running some free workshops to give you ideas on how to create a simple animation from an app on your phone.
There are only 15 places available per workshop and these are allocated on a first come first served basis. The workshops will be taking place at the following Cambridgeshire libraries. Please contact the library directly to book your place or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Location||Date and time|
|Wisbech Library||Tuesday 30 July 2019, 10:30am - 11:45am|
|Cambourne Library||Tuesday 30 July 2019, 2:00pm - 3:15pm|
|Ely Library||Wednesday 31 July 2019, 10:30am - 11:45am|
|Arbury Court Library, Cambridge||Wednesday 31 July 2019, 2:00pm - 3:15pm|
|St Ives Library||Friday 2 August 2019, 10:00am - 11:15am|
The workshops will last about 60 to 90 minutes and parents will be required to stay with their child(ren). Each workshop will be run by an Education Officer who will introduce recycling and then our partner Breadcrumb Media will lead the interactive workshop where the children will get to make a video using Stikbox app and the libraries will have iPads on hand for the children to use to make the video.
How and when to submit your story
Parents and children must read the competition rules before submitting entries.
The deadline for submitting your story is 20 September 2019. Please return your completed storyboard to your local Cambridgeshire library or by post to:
Recyclables Summer Challenge
Waste Management Team
Cambridgeshire County Council
Competition dates and deadlines
- Entries must be received by 20 September 2019
- A winner will be selected in October 2019
- The winner's story will be created by the end of November 2019
Competition terms and conditions
Participating schools and parents of children entering the competition are advised to read the rules, terms and conditions before taking part.