Skip to main content


Let's SCRAP fly-tipping

Dispose of your items properly to avoid prosecution or an unlimited fine.

Let's Scrap Fly-Tipping
Check the waste carrier register
Binbag icon with 'It can be as small as a single bag, to'
Lorry icon with 'An entire truck load of rubbish'

What is fly-tipping?

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of items.

If your waste is fly-tipped, by you or by someone else on your behalf, you could face a fixed penalty notice of up to £400 or an unlimited fine.

If you leave items:

  • beside street bins and recycling banks
  • on the floor of communal bin areas
  • outside closed recycling centres and charity shops

This is fly-tipping.


How you can prevent fly-tipping

Everyone has a legal 'duty of care' to ensure their household or business waste is disposed of correctly.

You can be prosecuted even if your waste is fly-tipped by someone else on your behalf.

If it is your waste, it is your responsibility.

Always use a registered waste carrier to provide a skip and / or to collect your rubbish.

Always ask questions about how your waste collector will dispose of your waste.

Find a registered waste carrier in your area on the Environment Agency's website.

Follow the S.C.R.A.P. code:

Suspect all waste carriers. Do not let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle's registration plate.

Check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency's website.

Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away.

Ask how your rubbish will be disposed of and seek evidence of this.

Paperwork must be obtained: a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier's contact details.

Icon of wheelie bin

What else you can do with your household waste

Use your kerbside bin collection

Visit your district or city council's website to find out about your local bin collections and what you can put in your bins.

bulky household appliances

Use your local council's bulky waste collection service

Your district or city council can collect bulky items directly from your house.

Waste Aware icon

Use neighbourhood recycling banks or household waste recycling centres

Find out when your nearest recycling centre is open, what you can take there and if you need a permit to bring a van or trailer.

Cambridgeshire household recycling centres
Peterborough household recycling centre

box of toys

Sell or donate your unwanted items

Use social media groups or websites like eBay, Gumtree and Freecycle. Only donate items to charity shops when they are open. 


Is your business disposing of its waste correctly?

Every business that produces waste in the UK has a legal 'duty of care' to:

  • manage it properly until it is recycled or disposed of
  • always use a registered waste carrier or register to carry your own waste
  • keep the correct paperwork for at least two years

A lack of understanding will not protect you in court.

Get help complying with the law:


How to report fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is illegal. If you witness someone fly-tipping, call the police on 999 and report it as a crime in progress. All instances of fly-tipping should be reported to your local district / city council, whether you witnessed the fly-tipping take place or not. 

When you report the fly-tipping, please include as many details as possible, such as:

  • Exact location
  • Date and time you discovered the fly-tipping
  • Details and photos of the items
  • Vehicle's registration number and other identifying features such as colour and model
  • Description of the fly-tipper(s) and the direction they were travelling

Do not put yourself at risk. If you witness fly-tipping in progress, keep yourself safe by staying out of the way and do not confront the perpetrator(s). Do not touch the waste as it might be contaminated or dangerous.

Report fly-tipping:

Cambridge City Council
East Cambridgeshire District Council
Fenland District Council
Huntingdonshire District Council
Peterborough City Council
South Cambridgeshire District Council


Dealing with fly-tipping on your property or land

After reporting the fly-tipping as detailed above, please try to secure it with a temporary fence so the evidence is not disturbed. 

As a land owner, it is your responsibility to ensure the fly-tipped waste is legally disposed of, including any costs. If the fly-tippers are prosecuted, you may be refunded your clean-up costs.

Please read the information on this page about using a registered waste carrier and other options for disposing of waste, including Household Recycling Centres and bulky waste collection.